LIVE. LAUGH. LOVE. or EXIST. SMURK. LURK.
Julie Houts has cultivated a devoted following as “Instagram’s favorite illustrator” (Vogue) by lampooning the conflicting messages and images women consume and share with the world every day. A collection of darkly comic illustrated essays, Literally Me chronicles the exploits of “slightly antisocial heroines” (Refinery29) in vivid, excruciatingly funny detail, including:
- The beauty routine of a deranged bride who aspires to be “truly without flaws” on her wedding day
- What happens when Kylie Jenner has an existential crisis and can no longer “step out”
- A journey to Coachella by the Four Horsewomen of the Apocalypse
- The true dating confessions of a fembot
- The terrifying description for Alice Staunch’s book How to Be a Perfect Feminist
- The diary of Fiddle Ficus, a tree that lives inside a C É L I N E store, and much more
Julie’s singular voice and illustrations reveal the truth about the absurdity of life in the social media age: the line between becoming a total “Girlboss” and a twenty-first century American Psycho is razor-thin.
“I loved Literally Me. Julie Houts is the satirist we've been waiting for. She deconstructs what it means to be a woman today with dark absurdist humor drawn to perfection. Brilliant.”
—Stephanie Danler, author of Sweetbitter
LITERALLY ME will be released October 24th, 2017.
The book is available for pre-order at the following sites: